What This Blog Is For

Hi everyone! We (Veelacat and Angela) created this blog because of the fact that we often create something spectacular, and want to show people how we did it, and what it is. So, welcome to our blog!

Angela always writes in purple. This means that right now, this is Angela speaking. Hi! *Waves* We would appreciate it if you follow our blog, and/or comment. there's also a chatbox at the bottom of this page. If you want to, leave a comment there. Oh, and Veelacat always writes in red.

thanks for reading. Love you all! *hugs*
-Veelacat
- Angela

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Denim Choker *tutorial*

Hello! Here's a tutorial to make up for the lack of... posts... for several months. :P
This is a really quick tutorial (took me about... twenty minutes?), and really easy, too. (It's basically a filler until I get my [TWO!] shirt tutorials done and up. :) )
Alright, I do a lot of work with denim. At least jeans. I get a pair of jeans, wear them until they get holes in the butt several times, until I just don't feel like patching them anymore. (Or they get too short. Either way. Or both.) And then I cut them up. Usually I make them into a purse (although recently I made a skirt.. O.O), but the legs, and the hems, are left. So I've been pondering ways to use up the random denim bits I have laying around, and I thought... "Choker! Hem! Yes!" So, yeah. If you don't happen to have any hems just laying around like I did, and you don't feel like cutting any of your jeans up, you can use other fabric, too. I just like the way that denim looks and feels. :)

Alrighty. Step one.
What you need:
Scissors.
Thread.
Sewing needle (not a machine, note.)
One snap. (This means it will have two pieces- if you don't have the appropriate pieces of a snap, it will not work. I cannot stress that enough.)
And a hem. A denim hem.



Next, what you have to do is measure around your neck, and cut the denim bit to fit. :)
Then, I used the thread and needle, to stitch the ends, so they wouldn't fray.



Then, you sew on the snaps. MAKE SURE THAT YOU ARE SEWING THEM ON THE RIGHT WAY.
That is important. If you lay the hem down, sew a snap on one end. then flip the hem over and sew the other half of the snap on the other end. If that doesn't make sense, fold the hem as it will be folded around your neck- in a circle with the ends overlapping. Not just in half, okay?
I think you can figure this out.


Then, it's done. Yep. Done. You can, of course, add embellishment- beads, sequins, glitter, thread designs, lace, etc. But that, my friends, is a very, VERY basic choker. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment